"Even amidst fierce flames the golden lotus can be planted"

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Herbal remedies to beat the winter blues


When it snowed in October, I got a bit panicky about Winter. It's not my favorite season and the thought of it starting so early sent me into a mad panic to get myself prepared so that I could at least survive it with some level of comfort. I've already mentioned the socks I've been knitting feverishly (I'm on my third pair) but other preparations were made too. That very first cold snap made my skin start drying out (which is one of the things I hate most about winter apart from the searing unbearable cold and short days) so I did a bit of research and found a recipe for a healing hand salve here. First of all you have to make a herbal infusion with calendula flowers which are marvelous pretty things with lots of healing properties, and then you make the salve using beeswax. "Wow" is all I can say. Every time my hands look a teeny bit too dry, I break this stuff out and so far It's done a fantastic job of healing my skin and preventing it from cracking which is one of the casualties of winter for me. I keep it in my bag at all times.


I also made some Elderberry syrup to both prevent getting nasty bugs and to use medicinally in the event of a nasty bug getting a hold of one of us. Again all I can say is "Wow". I've been taking this every day since the start of the flu/cold season and so far, I've managed to elude those nasty viruses. There have been a few occasions already where I felt as though I was coming down with something but took a dose of this and the symptoms miraculously disappeared. There's still plenty of winter left and still lots of lurking viruses but I feel a bit more confident about warding them off with this in my arsenal.



Lastly I think this is a time of year where a bit of pampering goes a long way so I made these delightful lotion bars for us to use after showers and baths. They smell delicious and are easy for little hands to hold so my kids happily apply them to their own skin after their bath and then run around asking it they smell like chocolate, which they do.

Crikey! At this rate I'm going to be sorry when the winter ends.

3 comments:

  1. These are all so fantastic and helpful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you back! I am definitely going to have a go at making those lotion bars as my two girls absolutely hate moisturising lotions. I am pretty sure they will be fine with these bars. Must get busy sourcing those ingredients. Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow amazing! I've been wanting to make salve for a while - I guess I should just get on with it so I can enjoy some for winter... I like the recipe you shared.
    xo

    ReplyDelete