"Even amidst fierce flames the golden lotus can be planted"

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vegetarian Sushi


About seven years ago, I bought a sushi mat in Chinatown thinking I couldn't live without one. This week I got it out for the first time when I became overwhelmed by an urge to make vegetarian sushi. I used a recipe from Rose Eliot's 'New Vegetarian Cooking' which is a book that I have owned for about ten years. I've looked at the sushi recipe hundreds of times but always moved on because the first words of the recipe are "These are quite a lot of trouble to make...."

Now that I've finally got around to making them, I can't believe how simple they are to pull together. I would say that they are quite a lot of trouble to make compared to scrambled eggs on toast but otherwise really not that much trouble at all. I'm guessing that the key to ensuring that all goes well is that the rice needs to be the right consistency i.e. sticky because that's the glue that holds it all together. I used Japanese sushi rice, followed the directions on the packet and then followed Rose Eliot's instructions to add 2 Tbs of rice vinegar; 2 Tbs of mirin and 1 tsp of salt to the cooked rice and that combination resulted in perfect rice. For the fillings I used strips of peppers which you need to broil and skin and slices of avocado. Once you have your rice and fillings ready, you roll them up in a piece of pre-toasted nori seaweed and voila, you have a lovely sushi roll. I'm not even sure that the mat is an essential. I think you could probably use a cloth just as effectively. There are some useful vegetarian sushi recipes here including this one which looks interesting.

I pulled these together whilst also cooking dinner for my family who wouldn't touch seaweed with a barge pole. However, the rolls were so pretty that the girls showed a lot of interest in them so next time I make this (which will be soon, I'm not waiting seven years again) I'm going to get them to help and then try it because I think they would actually like the sushi if they gave it a go.

One of the reasons for my overwhelming urge to try out new recipes lately is that I've been flirting with the idea of becoming vegan. I haven't eaten meat for over twenty years so it's not a huge leap just a deepening of that commitment I suppose. I don't think I could be a one hundred percent vegan for ever but I'm certainly going to try to limit my intake of dairy and eggs for a while.




2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! ...and very best wishes with the vegan thing!

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That's exactly what I'm in the mood for ;)

    ReplyDelete