"Even amidst fierce flames the golden lotus can be planted"

Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy 2014


The other evening I was tucking into Portobello Mushroom Cashew Cheese Burgers, recipe courtesy of this beautiful blog, whilst my family ate some breaded chicken which I had prepared for them. I wanted to scream with joy about the fantastic experience my taste buds were enjoying but decided to keep it to myself. My love of mushrooms in all their forms is not shared with any of my immediate family and the mere mention of cashew cheese would probably send them running for the hills. The thing is I felt guilty. It is my usual dilemma. I have been vegetarian for 25 years and during that time I have never once felt nostalgic about meat. I've only felt good about my choice. My health, weight, skin, energy levels all improved when I gave up eating meat. Nowadays we are being bombarded with the message that a predominantly plant based diet is good for you and more and more high profile people are switching to vegetarian and vegan diets and making a lot of noise about it which is great. However, when my children were small, I decided not to enforce vegetarianism on them but rather to try to educate them about healthy eating and to let them make their own dietary decisions when they are ready.

Having said that, it's definitely time for me to gently nudge my family towards a more plant based diet and to reduce their consumption of meat and dairy, so this morning, before preparing my shopping list for the week, I flicked through some cookbooks and online resources and tried to hunt down some vegetarian recipes which will really please them and make them want more. I've done this before and  usually a meatless dinner is met with complaints. It's extremely difficult to find vegetarian recipes which skip the ingredients my kids and husband vehemently dislike which include beans, cheese and mushrooms as mentioned above. I'd also like to avoid fake meat substitutes. It's challenging but I'll let you know how I get on.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the transition goes well...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for checking in with me it's been so long since I blogged!

    ReplyDelete